Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Keyboarding on Android

I've created the framework for the EdDroid website and now have my new Asus Transformer Prime tablet so it's time to get to work. Since this blog and site are about using Android in education I'm going to plan on using Andriod devices as much as possible in the creation and writing of everything. My first hurdle is getting used to typing on a screen.

RIght NOw I'm using The Android Keyboard(ICS). As you Can see, It keeps randomly Giving Me uppercase letters. ThIs iS A frustration. I don't believe I Am Touching anything T The KEYs I'M Also using GoOGle chrome beta so That may Be a problems. I'll Change Browsers.

Using Dolphin right now and things seem to work better. We'll give Google some time to work things out.

Though my tablet has the keyboard dock, I'll be testing without it because chances are that at least in the next year or two, tablet adopting schools probably won't be using one with keyboard docks.

One of my main frustrations with tablet keyboards is the missing arrow keys. I don,t like to tryand touch where I want to correct something or add something. Another is that while I'm typing, the text area doesn't scrool down as I type so I can see what I'm typing.

I changed over to Firefox now because I was having problems getting the keyboard abd touch cursor doing what I wanted while trying to correct errors. As my investigations continue I'll be sharing what browser works best for what as well. I'm writing this on the web version of Blogger. We'll see how other blogging tools work when I get that far.

I would like to make this a community forum so please help everyone by posting your thoughts, tips and tricks. Question: What do you find works best for keyboarding on tablets, Android specifically? How do we deal with keyboarding in the future? Will we teach on traditional pc keyboards and hope students will transition to tablet keyboards or should 1:1 schools begin keyboarding on tablets right away? Which keyboard to use?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's be positive and give constructive criticism & critique here. "My ... is better than your ..." and "[insert name of tool] sucks" posts will be deleted.